Saturday, April 18, 2009

Lemmy silences Germans with Nazi Reference.


8-20-06
MOTORHEAD star LEMMY recalls silencing a German audience with a joke about the Nazis. The ACE OF SPADES rocker played a gig at the stadium in Nuremburg, where dictator ADOLF HITLER held his infamous Nazi rallies before World War Two started in 1939. And Lemmy thought it would be amusing to liven the crowd up with a cheeky reference to the past - without success. He says, "When we played in Nuremburg in the stadium where Hitler used to make his speeches, the audience were a bit slow, so I said, 'You made more f**king noise than this in 1937.' "That didn't go down well."

Lemmy has had another flap in Germany recently, but i'll save that for another post. He did have a great quote about it.
"...I'll tell you something about history. From the beginning of time, the bad guys always had the best uniforms. Napoleon, the Confederates, the Nazis. They all had killer uniforms. I mean, the SS uniform is fucking brilliant! They were the rock stars of that time. What you're gonna do? They just look good. Don't tell me, I'm a Nazi 'cause I have uniforms. In 1967 I had my first black girlfriend and a lot of more ever since then. I just don't understand racism, I never thought it was an option." ~Lemmy

3 comments:

  1. wow, great story. the correct response would have been for them to throw beer bottles at his head, instead of getting all wussy and quiet. i hope someday germans will stop being shy and learn to kick ass again. (in a non-genocidal kind of way, natch.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always said if WWII was a fashion war, the Nazi's would have beat EVERYBODY!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The swastika was often seen in the late 60s, particularly in the musical underground scene of London. The freak-scene also included space rock pioneers Hawkwind, with whom Lemmy had honed his bass guitar skills from 1972-75. Lemmy was the "biker element" in the group, and made sure the group would never be labelled as "peace and love" ... Here is a rehearsal pic with a certain symbol adorning his guitar: http://www.starfarer.net/galleryy/crnov00d.jpg

    ReplyDelete